Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A new chapter...

Welcome to 2008 on my blog. I can already tell you 2008 is going to be a huge year of change for my family and myself. Firstly with the imminent arrival of our third child (due Easter). The new addition will of course bring on more challenges in my role as a family man. I thought things were already tough with the two, but I have a feeling things will get much tougher. Not much I can do here but hold on and get taken on the biggest ride of my life.

The other big change is in my working life. As many are aware, we run our own businesses. My main role over the past 10 years or so has been as a push bike courier and in the last few year managing a fleet of riders and working on the roads myself has taken up much of my time and has also been the key ingredient to my training. I still am yet to figure out whether couriering has been good or bad as a MTB racer, but the one thing it definitely gave me was the ability to stay in the saddle for many hours on end in varying conditions. I started to wind down the time I spent as a courier towards the end of last year, only working a day or two a week for the last two months. With the new baby coming, Robyn will be staying at home whilst I head back out to earn the bread. My new role will mainly be managing property maintenance issues within my sister in law & Robyn's business called Boutique Stays. This role will involve office and on site work - a real change from what I have become use to.

The problem I now face with this role is when do I ride. Most riders find time outside of working hours to get enough riding in so I’m sure I can as well, but the 20-30 hours a week I have done in the past won't happen. So I will see how this reduced load effects my racing as the year progresses.

I think that’s enough typing. So here are some random pics to start the year off.


This may just be the next addition to the fleet.



I noticed this sign at the top of the decent down the on in twenty in the 'nongs. Reminded of the extreme single filing we have done at max heart rate down this hill in the past. http://andy-bell.blogspot.com/2007/09/pain-game.html

She sure rode the wheels off this one...



Jayden got this great jacket for Christmas off his Uncle Paul. Nice...








This is Paul Ryan. He has done a few solo 24’s and has come to me for some coaching to see how far he can go…






No comments: