Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Aussie Day.

Today I needed to decide whether to do a road ride for fitness or a Randall MTB adventure in Melton. Wasn't that hard a decision really, the idea of looking for/making new trails to link existing trail to make a killer loop with two of my closest riding buddies wins every time. I'm a social rider who likes to race alone, if I do well in these races it's a bonus.

I left home at 7am but we didn't get riding till almost 9:30 because we needed to drop the Delica at a midway point so we could refuel, mmm coke and lamingtons. Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Between us we had three GPS's and two types of maps to get to where we needed to go.




The rig for the day. My Hei Hei, now with FSA flat bars and white Ruffin grips for the shorter races. It got pretty steep, but we all know what goes up must come down, thank god for that.

Here Randall is showing us the track we need to link with.

We go to ride along a dried creek for a while, got pretty rocky after a while and forced us to higher ground. Ash shows us his style.
This is me laughing, we had to stop and do a fair bit of navigating. At one stage we had three compasses all reading different Norths. Gotta love technology.

Don't know how this old bute ute drove in, but I think I know why it didn't make it out.


A sign the locals posted.....Nice.

A quick buzz on the black stuff back to the Delica before we loaded up and drove to the starting point to grab the other cars. Time check, 4:30.


Did we link the trails? Yep

Did we walk a lot of climbs? Yep

Did we bomb the descents? Yep

Did we cover a huge amount of KM's? No, not really.

Do we care? No

A great way to have spent Australia Day.....sorry Rob.

No comments: