Monday, March 14, 2011

A Wednesday night to remember...

OK, I'll paint a little picture. I was out on my usually Wednesday night MTB ride with Rohin, AJ, Scotty and a few other of the boys. It starts to rain, AJ after having a bit of a bug decides to pull the pin, Rohin is also keen to get it over with. Myself and Scotty on the other hand were have fun in the crap conditions. Anyway, we ended up riding the section along the yarra trails on the nth ride of the river under Chandler Hwy. Rohin in front pulls up as he sees the raging water (pic 1) running into the river from the storm water. I decide it was no match for me and my bike and without hesitation go for it. Than BAM, I was thrown to the ground in a heart beat from the absolute force of the water. I feel my knee and ankle both twist in the wrong direction, but I was concentrating on the problem at hand, getting myself and bike out of the water safely. I grabbed the bike a few times but it kept getting ripped from my hands by the water. In the end, I decided to grab the pole and say see you later to my bike. It went over a 2 meter waterfall and quickly went out of view.

We all looked on in amazement for a few minutes before a bottle popped up out of the white water, 30 seconds later an other bottle. Maybe a minute after that, my bike rose from the depth and floated out into the middle of the Yarra River. We were all pretty busy at this stage pissing ourselves with lafter. Luckily there was a couple kyakers paddling and I yelled for help to get the bike. They go the bike closer to shore but then it got snagged. Rohin didn't hesitate and jumped in to grab is as he could see I was in no state to go swimming.

The ride back to Rohin's place (and my car) was a one legged affair. As you can see in the last pic, the final result was a broken tibia. I have six weeks in plaster. Unfortunately this means I will miss The James Williamsom Enduro, Mont, Kona Dirt Weekend and the Duael. I should be back on the bike with a month to get fit enough to complete the Alice Springs Stage race in May.
















No comments: