Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tour de Timor all wrapped up...

After entering this event I didn't really know what to expect. I knew a few people who raved about it last year, so I had big expectation. Did it deliver? Sure did. The race itself was great fun and I enjoyed every minute of it. Stage races are not what I am good at, but with a bit of extra fitness gained over the last couple of months I fared pretty well. Each day basically panned out exactly the same for me on the bike. Started with the fast guys until the pace got too hot, then dropped off into a smaller chase group. I knew if I kept my heart rate in check to the level I have been training at for the solo worlds, I would finish strong. This happened every day. Our team finished second in the male teams and I finished 16th overall.



The stages were pretty amazing. We had a great mix of fast rolling flats, Paris-Roubaix style flats, relentless climbs up to the clouds, rolling loose and rocky descents, and steep in your face climbs. Did I mention there were climbs? We had to cope with sweltering heat and humidity and some riders who were on the course for a bit longer were lucky enough to get cooled off in a massive downpour.



Whilst off the bike we walked through the villages and met the locals. It was fantastic to see how happy the children were. Whilst riding through villages, locals lined the streets to show their appreciation of our participation in such a great event, riding through their regions. School kids really know how to yell!!



Below is a selection of photos I took on and off the bike. Sorry they are a bit out of order because blogger now make it too hard to rearrange.






A great sunset fron the UN Beach in Dili.


This rain caused the streets to flood in 20mins. Very heavy.



Simon pushed it a bit too hard on day two. Two bags later and he was fine.




Walking the streets of Dili. The locals were very happy to see us walking through their side streets, seeing close up where the sleep.



These were the wash rooms made by the locals in Balibo. Very cool.




The team minus Simon at the lookout over Balibo.




Riding the train. All strung out heading towards a two hour climb off in the distance.




Before the start of stage 4. Neil VDP in front of all the bikes whilst we all shelter from the heat.




Ben accompanying Rowena Fry (female winner) and myself up the climb on stage 4.




Team photo.





All dressed in our sporting attire for the after party.


I am looking forward to next year already.

No comments: